Pardon me while I burst



long time no post (part 2)


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Man, that History midterm was a lot easier than I had expected. I think I'll end up doing just fine. It feels so good to know that I don't have to go to Math class anymore. My days are gonna be so much longer and I'll have enough time to do schoolwork as well as other stuff. Speaking of other stuff, I have a whole bunch of tasks i need to finish that have been piled up for quite a while. The next 2-3 weeks are going to be busy!

Now I don't mean to brag or anything but if there's one thing I know I'm good at, it has to be finding the perfect song lyrics that accurately express what I'm feeling at a certain time. Those of you who check my away messages on AIM would know what I'm talking about. I have been using song lyrics as my away messages for a long time now. I've also always wished that I could write my own poetry that truly expresses myself and my experiences. So just a few weeks ago I decided to finally give it a shot. Yes, I got sick of myself just complaining about not having time to do fun things like try writing a poem or play my guitar and decided to use my time effectively. Anyways, so I thought that since 80% of the people I call at work don't answer their phones, I could use that time to write a few rhymes about anything that comes to my mind.

So I was talking to this alumni on the phone called Christopher Lee. He had studied Electrical & Computer Engineering just like I am right now. I always like talking to ECE majors because I can talk to them for a long time and ask them lots of questions about my major and the job industry and all that. So I asked this guy about his OSU experience and what's it like to be a Computer Engineer. "It sucks man!" Something I didn't expect him to admit. I asked him to elaborate and the guy went on and on about how he used to study all the time while his friends would go out and party. He told me that the amount of work he did in a week was the amount of work his friends did in the whole quarter. He always had classes on Fridays which he hated going to. Worst of all, the poor guy got some weird syndrome from too much strain which prevents him from working with computers!! I couldn't believe it...a computer engineer who can't work with computers! That pretty much eliminates majority of other jobs out there too! He even went on to admit that he realized in his senior year, when it was too late, that engineering wasn't really his thing...something that I have always feared.

After hearing all this, I felt like a complete ass asking him to give back to his college. But I had no choice. He told me that he had been unemployed for the last six months and was pretty much broke now. I felt terrible and didn't ask him again. The whole time it felt like he just needed to let everything out to someone who would really listen. He gave me a lot of good advice about how to keep a balance of classes and not just be a nerd and study all the time. College years are very precious and they shouldn't be wasted just like that. I told him that I was very glad that I got to talk to him and wished him good luck.

The whole conversation kept ringing in my head for the rest of the day. I couldn't believe how bad his luck was. The sadness of his story inspired me to write a whole poem about my conversation with him. It was really weird how fast I was able to write this poem. I was able to rhyme my lines very easily...a very strange feeling that's hard to explain. Usually I would sit down and think about what to write and how to write it, but with this one it just magically came to me and I was able to write it down. It's a great feeling. Here is the result:


"Balance" is key, said Christopher Lee
"Don't miss the forest for the trees.
Electrical Engineering is a tough degree.
Once you're out of college you'll be free.

Back when I was there I was a busy bee.
Struggled my ass off just to get a C
Senior year came and I could see clearly
Engineering was definitely not my cup of tea!

I'm sorry
I got no money
But nice try getting a pledge from me

Take my advice and don't worry
Just work hard and you'll make it through ECE
And don't forgert to go out there and PARTY
Do this so you don't end up being broke like me."



Yea...I know it sounds like a rap song, but that's just what came to my mind and I just wrote it down. I was pretty surprised after I read it cause I didn't think it would turn out to be this good given my lack of experience with poetry writing. Anyways, hope you guys like it. I've written a couple more which I will post later. Feel free to leave any comments or suggestions for me.


2 Responses to “long time no post (part 2)”

  1. Blogger nerdbabe 

    good job with the updates!! keep it up!!

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    whatever dude . you statistic of how 80% of the poeple that you call don't answer... so inaccurate for you never call me which should account of 97% of your people you would even want to call so i dont understand.

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Favorite Links