Pardon me while I burst



"My First Day In America"


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Looks like I missed the deadline for the ISA poem competition, making Namrata's poem a winner by default! Congratulations Nami...I hope you enjoy your burritos! I wouldn't have won anyway...I am no competition against Namrata the queen of poetry. But here's my take at "MY FIRST DAY IN AMERICA"

1997, late Thanksgiving night
He arrived at the city that never sleeps
Finally in the crowd his Dad was in sight
Yet he continued to weep

Happy to see his eldest son
His Dad wiped off his tears
He gave him a jacket and a pair of gloves
And assured that their new home was almost near

Outside the airport the street lights were dim
And the freezing wind cut him in two
He stopped to think about what just happened to him
He felt something entirely new

Sitting in a cab for the very first time
He noticed how the driver was on the left
A few minutes later in a city so sublime
He learned that cab drivers are quite deft!

He finally reached his destination,
his so-called "new" home
Though it looked warm and friendly at first
To him it was a world unkown

Exhausted from his long journey
He fell asleep in a blink
But the jetlag kicked in, finally
So he got up and started to think

Half way around the globe in a whole new country
Wondering what he's going to do
It's barely been an hour in a place so empty
And he already feels lonely and blue

Just two days ago he met all his friends,
Hugging and kissing goodbye
Now he has no one to talk to or call
He simply can't help but cry

Suddenly there was light from the rising sun
Entering his room through the blinds
A feeling of hope rushed through his body
It was time to leave the sad thoughts behind

The morning birds began to sing
Just like the sparrows in India
The pleasant sight marked the beginning
of his first day in America!


2 Responses to “"My First Day In America"”

  1. Blogger nerdbabe 

    so you're going to think i'm saying this just to be nice but i swear it's the truth...when i read your poem I felt the little heat thingy u feel behind ur eye just before a teardrop...I think you've captured the essence of how it feels to suddenly be miles from home very very nicely...and I wish you'd entered the competition on time because you're a very worthy opponent :)

    as for queen of poems i wouldn't go as far as to say that! i am however, the one and only queen of pranks :)

  2. Anonymous Anonymous 

    You have a knack for
    writing. I read about 20
    blogs a day, and skim about
    30 more, so I mean it! We
    can all use improvement, but
    you certainly are better than
    most I've read.

    I'm going to be starting a blog
    soon, about keyword bidding
    (I know, it sounds strange!) but
    if you don't mind, I might drop
    you a line just to get a little advice.
    Ok?

    Thanks kindly.

    One Crazy Blog Addict...!
    Dave, King of All Keywords

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Favorite Links