Pardon me while I burst



Behold the power of facebook groups!


E-mail this post



Remember me (?)



All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of Blogger.com. More...



Until now, I never realized what a HUGE impact a small thing like a facebook group can have!! Who knew that a group like "I love sleep" (created by the tallest Indian in the world, who also happens to be my roommate!) could get over a 1000 members while groups like "I hate ISA" (which, for the record, was created all out of good humor) can cause so much controversy?! Is it just me, or people really can't see how pointless and meaningless these things are? As a matter of fact, does nobody realize how retarded the whole facebook thing is?!

I don't think anyone even uses it for what it's actually meant for: making NEW friends. You go to a party and talk to random people for like 5 minutes and u'll probably never see them again! But go home and check your e-mail and your inbox will be full of facebook invitations. It's like a popularity competition back from middle school and high school. "Yess! I have 200 friends!" (yes...someone I know did actually say that.) And then after adding them to your list you will actually read through everyone's profiles, check all their list of friends, read their profiles, see how they're all connected to you in the world of facebook, and so on...

And now since giving out your whole life's information wasn't already enough, they added a new feature where you can upload your pictures. So the whole world can know what you and your friends/acquaintances/parents/pets/anybody else remotely related to you look like and what everyone does together, etc. etc. Not only that, they have facebook for high school too now! What a wonderful way to promote conformity, stereotyping, and procrastination!! Ugh.

Before you think that i'm a big hypocrite to be writing all this, let me inform you that i'm an active facebook member. In fact, i was one of the first people to get on it back when not the whole world knew about it. I think it's a really convenient way to keep track of your old friends from high school and a great networking tool for communicating with people from your classes. Yea I also think it's a big waste of time, but then again, what better things does a college student like myself have to do?

I hate to admit it but Facebook is actually one of my favorite passtimes. I love reading people's profiles and their walls and seeing who they're friends with and who they're in relationships with and what they're looking for (random play <- wtf does that really mean anyway!?) The best time to go on facebook is right after the weekend because everyone will update their picture. It's hilarious to see some guy trying to look cool by replacing his picture with one from some party where he got his picture taken with some random hot girl (i've done it too haha!) Oh and did i mention facebook groups??

Oh yes i did. These things are so powerful they can start a revolution! A group based on an inside joke about hating a wonderful campus organization turned into an ugly quarrel. Another group that makes fun of females of a certain nationality...ok i don't like writing like this. A group called "Wow, You're an Indian Girl at Osu and You're Unattractive-shocker!" has shown great potential of causing a riot among the indian female population of OSU. The group already has its own little "fanbase" too! Yea I admit it's being very immature and ignorant and insensitive and blah blah blah. But goddamn people settle down...it's only a frikin facebook group!! Being a member of such silly little groups does not define anybody's character. Nor does it accurately express an individual's opinion about a thing or a group of people or an organization or whatever! Don't go all crazy feeling offended and taking everything personally all cause a bunch of bored bums (including myself of course) who have nothing better to do decide to amuse themselves by making fun of people who take facebook so seriously! Trust me, it ain't worth it!

Aah...so now that I have that out of the way, i'm gonna go get some shut-eye before i get up on a nice Sunday afternoon and look through all the flyers of my favorite electronics stores. Good night!


P.S. - Oh and I almost forgot...don't forget to Facebook me!


2 Responses to “Behold the power of facebook groups!”

  1. Anonymous Anonymous 

    It's not about the group dumbass. The group, alone, might have been funny. I think some of the quotes you have up there actually are chuckle-worthy.

    The problem is that you and your lovely friend are a pair of egotistical, male-chauvinist, insensitive, uncaring, jerkfaces who wouldn't recognize a worthwhile girl if she fell from the skys straight into your laps. And that is something that you've proven with or without your stupid facebook group.

    What a waste. If you just stayed the decent, friendly guys you once were, there's no reason that you wouldn' t find a nice girl. Oh! but I forgot. You're not looking for a nice girl. Us nice, unattractive girls are only good enough to be 'friends' with. Or wait, I think you guys forget that we're girls at all!

    Now see, being an ISA exec member isn't an essential part of anyone's identity, but being a girl is certainly a very important part of mine.

    wow, you guys are great friends. thanks pals.

  2. Blogger Ankit 

    that's what they all say neil...

Leave a Reply

      Convert to boldConvert to italicConvert to link

 


About me

Previous posts

Archives

Favorite Links